Caudal zone of the adenohypophysis of a pigeon (HE): detail
In the caudal zone, the following secretory cell types are or can be present:
- Type I cells, Î² cells or gonadotrophs (FSH)
- Type II cells, Î´ cells or thyrotrophs (TSH)
- Type III cells, Î³ cells or gonadotrophs (LH)
- (Type IV cells, Î· cells or mammatrophs (prolactin))
- Type V cells, alpha cells or somatotrophs (STH): large spherical or ellipsoidal intensively stained acidophils with centrally-placed nucleus that produce STH. The intensity of staining diminishes with increasing age. Somatotrophs are largely restricted to the caudal zone of the adenophypophysis.
- Type VI cells or chromophobes